Monday 2 January 2012

Yet another year gone and another to look forward to...

So 2011 is over. It has been my best year yet outdoors, making MB for the second time and edging closer to GMB. However I am mindful that my biggest failing is not my technique or equipment, but falling short in the mental application department. Don't get me wrong, I have had a very good year, but I want more, and want to be better, and this is the area I have to now improve.

This year I embark on another trail of competitions, trying to get to GMB. This year I have to do things differently, change something, otherwise it becomes yet another year of going through the motions.

What's been going on lately? Well I have been shooting outdoors almost every week, shooting the big distances, and getting stuck into some Field by shooting in the Winter Field Archery League. This has been a welcome distraction, but at the same time it has been very useful. I have now started shooting timed rounds at the club in preparation for competitions that will start in April. It gets too easy banging in the big scores at the club with no pressure.

Indoors has once again been difficult. I do shoot every week indoors, but I have struggled to muster any enthusiasm for indoor rounds. I have a dedicated indoor bow, that I am still to get set-up properly. I tend to just practice form and technique @ 18m instead. Not a bad thing, but I wish I could be better indoors and learn to like it. That gap has been filled with the Field shoots however, so that is likely to be the direction I take in future years in the winter.

In the last three months or so I have been working on my physical strength, and have been doing weights most days. This has helped with aiming and will no doubt be worth points in the coming season. I will see if I can fit in some running as well to improve my general fitness for the outdoor season.

No comments:

Post a Comment