Tuesday 21 August 2012

Progress so far...and what of the future?

Well its been a while since my last post. As I have said before, I have cut down my blogging and general archery related forum activity to focus on actually shooting.

Since my first forays into field, I have done a few more FITA field comps and have joined the EFAA.

Firstly, the FITA field comps have been mixed. The SCAS individual champs started OK on the first day, but a miss (shot the wrong bunny!) meant I missed out on a PB. Then on the second day I made the fatal mistake of switching to the hinge release. Less said about that score the better!

Last week I attended the SCAS Regional Field Champs at Fort Purbrook. A fantasic venue; shooting of the fort, in the tunnels and corridoors. Conditions were tough; windy outside and dark and gloomy inside. But this is what field is all about for me. The scores were not great, but I did enough to help Surrey win the SCAS compound team champs (along with Dave Morris of Nonsuch Bowmen).

Some lessons have come out of this. Some euqipment releated (specifically drawlength on my new bow), but also my field craft on the unmarked is still under par, but that will come with time and experience.

Finally, I joined the EFAA this year and have attended three shoots, two of those classification shoots. Being an avid watcher and follower of the Pro Archery Series, I wanted to shoot the same rounds and get a small taste of it. In my first two classification shoots I have gained the higest classification possible, Supreme Field Master. I have also done my first 3D shoot, which was fantastic fun.

The discovery of the different field disciplines has reinforced my desire to pursue field archery long term. I have booked into the EFAA National Champs and EFAA 3D Champs, and I will look forward to those. After that is the Surrey Field Champs, which I will be working hard to do well in this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment