Monday 6 May 2013

Whitemark Bowmen 3D Memorial Shoot, a National Record and the EFAA Spring Champs

It has been a busy few weeks shooting wise. First, the Whitemark Bowmen 3D Memorial Shoot was cancelled and put back to the end of April. I had hoped having shot a PB on the Hunter round I would take some good form into this shoot. However I got sloppy on some targets; not coming down when I should do and gave away some cheap points. It was enough for second place though, with a score of 534 for the Precision round, but I take no satisfaction from that. I also had a few problems with the fibre pin on my new scope to sort out.

However, on the bright side I shot an EFAA National Record at Panther Bowhunters for the New Marked Forester round, upping it from 930 to 995. My form was much better and more like what I know I can shoot like. I received my certificate at the EFAA Spring Championships.


And finally, this weekend was the EFAA Spring Championships, comprising of a Hunter round on the Saturday and the New Marked Forester on the Sunday. Day one was a bit of a disaster, shooting under 530 for the first time ever with a 529. I could not get any form going and shot a succession of 19/20 throughout the day. It was enough for 3rd, and a place in the top group on the Sunday.

On the Sunday I headed for the practice range and did some blank boss shooting, with the hope I could figure out the problem. I worked out it was my rear elbow alignment, and as a result I shot a brilliant first 2/3 of the round. I hit a bit of a stumbling block where my arrows started hitting above the spot on the last few targets, and I fell short of beating my own record with a final score of 985. But, it was enough to win the FU class by a mere two points across the two days.

This was a pleasing result, simply because I worked the problem and dramatically turned it around to come away with the win, even with the pressure of shooting effectively head to head in the top group with the second placed archer, who on day one was way out in front. Not only did the blank boss shooting give me the insight into what the problem was, but also a comment from an archer I shot with on the first day. He was talking about his days as an international archer, and he said you have to want it so badly that you could walk up to the target and smash your fist through it. That stuck on my mind for the rest of the weekend.

Next up, the EFAA Bowhunter Champsionships, an un-marked 3D round over two days. This is going to need some serious practice!

6 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading your quest to become a better archer. It is nice to see another archery blog on Blogger. Check mine out sometime.

    polararchery.blogger.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very nice to see your record, hope you'll do the best on next Championship....Practice hard...there is nothing like practice.
    Best of luck.
    archery

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, it actually speaks a lot for your ability to figure out it was the alignment of one arm to increase your accuracy. Most people don't realize that you have to try and do everything the same for every single shot. Good job on the record.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Its a common mistake I make but its hard to know what you are doing wrong sometimes!

      Delete
  4. very interesting, i see that this page also has a great blog about archery

    ReplyDelete

  5. Thanks for sharing this Post, Keep Updating such topics.
    visit our website

    ReplyDelete